Some Danish cities resisted the new spelling of their names, notably Aalborg and Aabenraa.
Århus city council explicitly embraced the new spelling, as it was thought to enhance an image of progressiveness.
With the Danish spelling reform of 1948, "Aa" was changed to "Å".Whichever spelling local authorities choose, most newspapers and public institutions will accept it. private fickdates Mülheim an der Ruhr Some official authorities such as the Danish Language Committee, publisher of the Danish Orthographic Dictionary, still retain "Århus" as the main name, providing "Aarhus" as a new, second option, in brackets.The city gates funnelled most traffic through a few streets where merchant quarters were built.In the 17th century, Aarhus entered a period of recession as it suffered blockades and bombardments during the Swedish wars and trade was dampened by the preferential treatment of the capital by the state.
Bedste dating sites Skanderborg
In the 1970s and 1980s, Aarhus became the centre for Denmark's rock music fostering many iconic bands such as TV-2 and Gnags.Aarhus is home to the annual eight-day Aarhus International Jazz Festival, the SPo T Festival and the North Side Festival.In 1657, octroi was imposed in larger Danish cities which changed the layout and face of Aarhus over the following decades. Wooden city walls were erected to prevent smuggling, with gates and toll booths on the major thoroughfares, Mejlgade and Studsgade.As the industrial revolution took hold, the city grew to become the second-largest in the country by the 20th century.
Today Aarhus is at the cultural and economic core of the region and the largest centre for trade, services and industry in Jutland.In the 1950s many jazz clubs sprang up around the city, fuelled by the young population.By the 1960s, the music scene diversified into rock and other genres.Many public and religious buildings were built in and around the city; notably Aarhus Cathedral was initiated in the late 12th century by the influential bishop Peder Vognsen.In 1441, Christopher III issued the oldest known charter granting market town status although similar privileges may have existed as far back as the 12th century.